I’m an anomaly By the age of 24, I’ve had the opportunity to brush shoulders with billionaires, impact millions of people via the internet and build fortune 500 internet strategies. Plus, I did it all from Montreal, Canada, with no Harvard degree (frankly, no degree, I’m a comp sci dropout) and with no capital. It’s thanks to these life hacks like these that have help these opportunities present itself. Below I’ve shared a few:
1. Be memorable with people you want to know better. A few months ago, I saw Daniel Eckler’s investor presentation on TechCrunch. I knew I wanted to invest. But he was getting bombarded by the Dave McClure’s of the world, and it was a tough deal to get into. So when I heard that he was flying into Montreal for 2 days, I asked him if I could pick him up from the airport to save him some bucks. At first, he thought it was kinda stalker-ish, but hey, I had 23k followers on twitter so how crazy could I be. I picked him up and then showed him around Montreal. He’ll never forget me.
2. Do 3 things a day. The night before you go to sleep, write down the 3 major things you want to get accomplished the next day. The next day, you will wake up with focus and make sure you accomplish those things the next day.
3. Don’t check email in the morning. If you were anything like me, you wake up and the first thing you’d do would be grab your phone and check your email. Forget email. Remember, you have 3 major things to do. The world will wait for you. Early AM is the best for tackling key problems.
4. Bring smart people together. When my friends at Dwolla were eager for some marketing ideas, I brought together a conference call of some of the smartest internet minds on the planet. The call included stars like Andy Ellwood (Gowalla sold to Facebook), Dario Meli (Hootsuite/Invoke and now Quietly), Rory Olson (4 exits, 2 IPOs) and viral marketing genius & growth hacker extraordinaire, Andrew Sider (now at Bunch).
5. Take life notes. Document what your key learnings and key insights. You’ll forget about the journey and the process if you don’t and it will help you when you make key decisions. Guys like Shane Mac have written books like Stop With the BS in 24 hours based on life notes.
What are some of your favorite life hacks? Comment below.
For more life hacks, follow me on twitter.